Happy Holidays to all you book lovers out there!
Back by popular demand, my second annual recommended reading list. I had no idea when I killed a few hours last year, spontaneously jotting down my literary likes for 1993, that the response would be so overwhelming. All year long, I’ve heard from friends who have taken my suggestions; some have said they’ve passed the list on to others, which is terrific. The more the merrier. I’ve enjoyed getting feedback about the books on last year’s list; it’s a good feeling to know that I’ve enticed some people to read books they otherwise would never have picked up.
So here is the list for 1994, in no particular order. Enjoy!
- The Shipping News, E. Annie Proulx (1993)
- Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang, Joyce Carol Oates (1993)
- Pigs In Heaven, Barbara Kingsolver (1993)
- Clockers, Richard Price (1992)
- Peyton Place, Grace Metalious (1956)
- A Far Cry from Kensington, Muriel Spark (1988)
- The Trial of Abigail Goodman, Howard Fast (1993)
- A Map of the World, Ruth Hamilton (1994)
- Praise Song for the Widow, Paule Marshall (1983)
- The Tracks of Angels, Kelly Dwyer (1994)
- Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil, John Berendt (1994)
- The Van, Roddy Doyle (1991)
- Mohawk, Richard Russo (1986)
- Trouble, Fay Weldon (1993)
- The Crossing, Cormac McCarthy (1994)
- Montana 1948, Larry Watson (1993)
- Apple of My Eye, Helene Hanff (1978)
- The Soloist, Mark Salzman (1994)
- Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery, John Gregory Brown (1994)