Of the books that I read this past year, here are those that I’d recommend, in no particular order. Reviews of each appear elsewhere on this blog.
- Bayou Farewell: The Rich Life and Tragic Death of Louisiana’s Cajun Coast, Mike Tidwell (2003)
- Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir In Books, Azar Nafisi (2003)
- Pompeii, Robert Harris (2003)
- The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature and Fowl Obsession, Mark Obmascik (2004)
- Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott (1819)
- The Pastures of Heaven, John Steinbeck (1932)
- Life of Pi, Yann Martel (2001)
- When the Emperor Was Divine, Julie Otsuka (2002)
- Persepolis: A Story of a Childhood, Marjane Satrapi (2003)
- The Subtle Knife, Philip Pullman (1997)
- The Amber Spyglass, Philip Pullman (2003)
- The Known World, Edward P. Jones (2003)
- Moby Dick, Herman Melville (1851)
- Wonder Boys, Michael Chabon (1995)
- The House on Coliseum Street, Shirley Ann Grau (1961)
- Over the Edge of the World: Magellan’s Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe, Laurence Bergreen (2003)
- The Dogs of Babel, Carolyn Parkhurst (2003)
- The Complete Cartoons of the New Yorker (2004)
2 thoughts on “My Recommended Reading List for 2004”
This is a brillian idea! I think I’ll do this on my blog also, if you don’t mind! We didn’t read any of the same books, but some of the ones on your list are on my bookshelf waiting for me pay attention to them.
What is on your bookshelf for ’05?
Excellent idea back atcha! I’ll have to peruse the bookshelf and highlight those titles that I want to make a point of getting to this year. Stay tuned.