Happy Holidays to all you book lovers out there!
For those keeping track, this is my thirteenth season of book recommendations. I continue to update my website 2Things@Once with all my book reviews, including reviews for books that didn’t make the list. You’ll also find movie reviews, as well as entries about cultural, culinary, and topical events around Chicago.
So, without further ado, and in no particular order, here is my list for 2005. Happy reading!
- Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed, Jared Diamond (2004)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon (2003)
- Race to the Pole: Tragedy, Heroism and Scott’s Antarctic Quest, Sir Ranulph Fiennes (2004)
- Small Island, Andrea Levy (2004)
- His Excellency: George Washington, Joseph J. Ellis (2004)
- Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, Marjane Satrapi (2004)
- Drop City, T.C. Boyle (2003)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling (2005)
- California Fault, Thurston Clarke (1996)
- Living on the Wind: Across the Hemisphere with Migratory Birds, Scott Weidensaul (1999)
- Sharpe’s Rifles, Bernard Cornwell (1988)
- The Penultimate Peril, Lemony Snicket (2005)
- No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith (1998)
- Louise Brooks: A Biography, Barry Paris (1989)