Photo by FrankLong on Flickr.
One and Other, the living art project going on in Trafalgar Square this summer, is over half-way through its 100 day run and it’s just as entertaining now as it was that first week. I continue to spread the news about the Plinth to all who will listen and figure I’m long overdue with another list of my favorite plinthers thus far. So here goes:
Week 2 —
- GeraldC — Godzilla destroys London.
- Bushewacker — Made a 360-degree drawing of Trafalgar Square while standing inside a box with the clear plastic pallet all around him.
- Volorose — There have been a number of stationary cyclists on the plinth but this guy gave it an utterly unique spin with his Pee-Wee Herman bike and a thwarted if not noble attempt to use his own spinning to power his finale.
- MiniBeastGirl — A charming, dancing butterfly helps to raise awareness for cultivating urban wild spaces.
- Shells — Wearing a house dress and kerchief, she used her early morning spot to give the plinth a good scrubbing.
Week 3 —
- Neil — Another stationary cyclist; this one donned a skeleton suit encircled by flags to raise awareness of bicycle deaths on London roadways.
- Allenby — Dressed as Buzz Lightyear and led a spirited aerobics work out for his hour. He was great fun and really had the crowd going.
Week 4 —
- Lilacbonzai — The infamous first naked plinther who caused a controversy, not because he appeard “with his kit off” but because the cops told him to put it back on.
Week 5 —
- The Balloonatic — A veteran street performer plies his trade on the plinth, bouncing around on–and inside of–a giant red balloon.
- Chris_L — A touch of the absurd at the end of a fishing pole mixed in with infectious energetic solo dancing to his iPod. Bonus: I discovered a new group, The Wedding Present. Dial them up on MySpace and dance along.
More to come.