For sixteen years, I have include a list of book recommendations with my holiday cards. Last year, I never quite got around to finishing the book reviews and so I never sent out the cards. Until now…
Amazing what you can accomplish when you have a little, shall we say, free time. So, here it is–my recommended reading list for 2009.
I’ve decided to go green-ish and will no longer send out printed copies of my list. Instead, I’m directing friends here to see the list and read my reviews, all of which initially appeared on this blog anyway. Here, in no particular order, is my list for 2009, with links to each of my reviews.
- The Forsyte Saga, John Galsworthy (1906-1922)
- Nana, Emile Zola (1880)
- Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck (1937)
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Winifred Watson (1938)
- Peace Like a River, Lief Enger (2001)
- The Frozen Thames, Helen Humphreys (2009)
- The Women, T.C. Boyle (2009)
- Case Histories, Kate Atkinson (2004)
- Birchwood, John Banville (1973)
- Ethan Frome, Edith Wharton (1911)
2 thoughts on “Best Books Read in 2009”
Thanks for posting your list! I’ll read your reviews. =)
Looks like I’ll have to read The Forsyte Saga… damn!