Yesterday Was a Good Day

Here’s a little wrap-up on my whirlwind day yesterday. If you follow me on Twitter, I apologize in advance because this will be old news for you. I’ll include some of my Tweets and elaborate beyond the 140 characters.

A roller coast day today: acupuncture (calm),
Cubs game (frustration) and sailing (relaxing.)

Started the day with a visit to the acupuncturist. She worked on my upper back and pectoral muscles which haven’t gotten a whole lot of use since the surgery. She loosened me up, working out some of the tightness. I’m going to start a little yoga on my own to stretch, strengthen and increase my range of motion. I’ll start easy with some sun salutes.

Red Pepper, Bacon & Blue Cheese Quiche @ Julius Meinl

After a general, restorative acupuncture treatment, Karen and I stopped at the Julius Meinl in Lincoln Square for coffee and an early lunch. (I had the melange: frothy milk, espresso and a dusting of dark chocolate. Delicious.) And, because it was Bacon Thursday, I had to try the bacon sweet roll, which had a generous slice of bacon baked right into the cinnamonny dough, with a light creme cheese frosting on top. I also had the red pepper, bacon and blue cheese quiche. Amazing. The blue cheese really made it.

First Cubs Game of the Season

Then, it was over to Wrigley Field for my first Cubs game of the season. The day was sunny and warm with little humidity and a breeze in the stands to keep it cool. Absolutely perfect weather to sit and enjoy a game. 

I didn’t mind the new controversial Toyota sign over the left field bleachers. The “see-through” design is much preferable to a standard billboard and frankly, I prefer it over the ugly Horse Shoe Casino ad on the roof behind it. (Though I don’t like the beer, I liked the bright Budweiser roof that had graced that house for years.) I do hope this is it for signage in left field but I’m not holding my breath for the next changes to hit Wrigley, whatever they may be. Time will tell as to whether the Ricketts family is starting down a slippery slope

The other big change (besides the spiffy upgraded restrooms–with their strangely low toilets) was the addition of prerecorded “walk on” music for each of the Cubs. (Gone is the organ music that accompanied players as they walk up to take their turn at bat.) Now, like other big league parks, Wrigley has begun playing snippets of prerecorded music. Half the time we couldn’t really make out what the song was and they didn’t blare it nearly as loudly as at other parks. Whether the music was helping to fire-up the players seemed doubtful, since the Cubs continued with lackluster hitting. That was, until the ninth inning when the bats got hot and they beat Oakland in walk off, 3-2. 

“Ouch. Throwing my arms up in the air when the Cubs
win in the bottom of the 9th hurt but it was spontaneous and worth it.”

So far, one change the Ricketts haven’t made is the one I’d be 100% behind: changing the stupid song that’s sung after every home game win. “…the Cubs are gonna win today…” No, idiot, the Cubs WON today. Ugh.

We had a few hours to kill before our 7 o’clock sail date at Montrose Harbor, so Karen, Anne and I headed over to Hopleaf for a craft brew and dinner. I tried a saisonniere, this one by Urthel. It was very tasty, the perfect crisp beer for a summer day. Had the Tilapia sandwich with, of course, some of their delicious pomme frittes. The beer paired nicely with the food.

Then, down to Montrose Harbor. It was a beautiful evening. Calm winds, clear skies, with a few clouds that promised a great sunset. Got on board, prepped the boat, headed out and as soon as we cleared the harbor entrance, we entered a non-stop washing machine, bobbing this way and that way, up, down, back and forth. The lake, coming from different directions and bouncing off the shore and the breakwater was just a sloppy mess. This combined with a minor sail problem that we were unable to fix on such bouncy seas. We tried to sail with the jib only, but there wasn’t enough wind, and by then, a mere 30 minutes on the water, I was starting to feel a little green. I wasn’t the only one and so we headed in to get out of the mix and fix the sail.

After we’d buttoned up the boat and were sitting on deck enjoying the evening and watching the sun set, the Captain recommended a little whiskey on ice to settle our stomachs. Have to say it worked and we ended the day on a sweet note.


One thought on “Yesterday Was a Good Day

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s